Coronavirus: questions and answers

Information about Corona virus

Current information for travellers and holiday makers

(Update: 19th of January 2022)

From 20 December 2021, stricter measures against the spread of the coronavirus will apply.

From 20 December 2021, the 2G rule (from the age of 16) will apply throughout Switzerland inside restaurants, cultural and leisure facilities and at indoor events. This means that only people who have been vaccinated or have recovered will be allowed to enter.

The Covid certificate is proof that you have either been

  • vaccinated against Covid-19
  • tested negative for the coronavirus or
  • have recovered from the coronavirus.

The certificate can be presented in an app on the mobile phone or in paper form. A personal identification document with a photo is also required for verification (e.g. passport, identity card, driver's licence, residence permit, student ID).

Despite the greatest possible care, we cannot guarantee completeness and accuracy. The communication channels of Heidiland Tourism in no way replace official information channels or legal regulations. As the situation can change quickly, we refer to the official information of the authorities on the website of the Federal Office of Public Health.

FAQ about Corona virus

Entering Switzerland

With the Travelcheck of the Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH) you can check whether and under which conditions you are allowed to enter Switzerland.

Compulsory forms for all
All persons entering Switzerland (including those who have been vaccinated, convalesced or tested) must complete the entry form (Passenger Locator Form, SwissPLF).

Facilitated entry for vaccinated and recovered persons
As of Saturday, 22 January, vaccinated and recovered persons no longer need to present a negative PCR or rapid antigen test before entering Switzerland. Non-vaccinated and non-recovered persons still need a negative corona test (PCR or rapid antigen test) for entry into Switzerland. Exceptions apply to travellers from border regions. They do not have to take a test.

Entry from risk countries
Unvaccinated persons may enter Switzerland from risk countries or regions outside the Schengen area for private purposes only in cases of hardship. This applies in particular to visits or tourist trips.

FOPH Infoline for persons entering Switzerland: T +41 58 464 44 88, daily 6.00 a.m. to 11.00 p.m.

Last update on 01-19-2022 by Adrian Pfiffner.

Certificate requirement

As of 20 December 2021, there will be adjustments to the certificate requirement. These changes are valid throughout Switzerland (from the age of 16).
The so-called 2G rule will come into force and states that only vaccinated or recovered persons will have access to the following indoor areas:

  • Restaurants (including those of hotel establishments).
  • SAC huts
  • Cultural and leisure facilities such as museums, libraries, fitness centres, sports facilities, climbing gyms, indoor swimming pools, thermal baths or casinos.

In these places, a mask must also be worn and the consumption of food and drink is only permitted in a seated position.

In places where consumption is not possible in a seated position, such as discos and bars, from 20 December only vaccinated or recovered persons who can also show a negative test result will be permitted. (2G+)

Guests without a certificate in establishments or at events with compulsory certification can be fined 100 francs.

Last update on 01-19-2022 by Johanna Bergthaler.

Where does 2GPlus apply?

Where neither mask-wearing nor compulsory sitting is possible, only vaccinated and recovered persons who can also show a negative test result (2GPlus) are permitted.

This rule applies for example to:

Discos, clubs
Indoor swimming pools
Compulsory testing does not apply to young people up to 16 years of age.

Exceptions: Persons who have not been fully vaccinated, booster vaccinated or recovered for more than four months are exempt from compulsory testing. Establishments and events that are subject to the 2G rule can voluntarily apply 2GPlus and thus waive the mask and seat requirement.
Please contact the company directly to find out which regulation applies.

Last update on 12-20-2021 by Johanna Bergthaler.

Where do I don't need a certificate?

The following locations will not require a certificate after 20. December 2021:

  • Outdoor areas of catering establishments such as terraces.
  • Public transport, including mountain railways
  • Overnight stays in hotels and campsites (access to restaurant/bar only with certificate)
  • Retail trade
  • services provided by public authorities
  • personal services, such as hairdressing salons, therapeutic and counselling services (e.g. banks and information centres)

In these areas, mouth/nose protection must still be worn and, whenever possible or prescribed, the distance (1.5 metres) to other persons must be maintained.

Operators can take stricter measures independently at any time. Please obtain information in advance from the respective service provider.

Last update on 12-17-2021 by Adrian Pfiffner.

Does a mask obligation apply and if so, where?

Masks are compulsory in the following places (from the age of 12):

In indoor areas accessible to the public, such as churches, shops, airports, at train, bus and tram stops, as well as in hotels and on public transport.

Detailed information on compulsory masks can be found on the information page of the BAG.



Last update on 12-17-2021 by Johanna Bergthaler.

What about mountain railways & public transport?

No Covid certificate is required in public transport and mountain railways.
Masks are compulsory in closed means of transport such as cable cars and gondolas.
On ski lifts and chairlifts, however, masks are not compulsory.

The operators can also stipulate a more extensive mask requirement for outdoor areas - such as when queuing.

Last update on 12-17-2021 by Adrian Pfiffner.

What about hotels, holiday flats and SAC huts?

No certificate is required for overnight stays in hotels. Guests and staff wear mouth-nose protection in the accommodation. Guests may remove the mouth-nose protection in their personal rooms (guest rooms). Access to the indoor areas of restaurants and bars in the hotel, on the other hand, is only permitted for persons with a certificate (required from the age of 16).

A certificate is also not required for a stay in a holiday flat. Here, the rules for private meetings apply (max. 30 persons indoors).

However, a Covid certificate is required for those who stay in an SAC hut and consume indoors.

Last update on 09-15-2021 by Adrian Pfiffner.

What about restaurants?

The indoor areas of restaurants are only accessible to vaccinated or recovered persons (2G) (prescribed from the age of 16).
In restaurants, it is now compulsory to sit while eating and drinking.

In the outdoor areas of restaurants, no certificate obligation applies and no mouth-nose protection must be worn. However, the required distance (1.5 metres) must be maintained between groups of guests if there are no separating elements. Guests on terraces who do not have a certificate but need to go to the toilet are required to wear masks inside. The same applies to guests without a certificate who are waiting for take-away food inside.

Last update on 12-17-2021 by Adrian Pfiffner.

Which certificates are valid and where can I get them?

Detailed information on the valid Covid certificates can be found on the corresponding information page of the Federal Office of Public Health.

Guests from the EU/EFTA/Schengen area (analogous to Switzerland):
Entry and access to indoor rooms/events subject to certification possible without problems with the existing Covid certificates (connected to the EU Digital Covid Certificate).

Guests from third countries outside EU/EFTA/Schengen (vaccinated with an EMA vaccine, i.e. Pfizer, Moderna, Janssen/Johnson&Johnson, AstraZeneca and all licences such as Covishield, etc.):
Guests from third countries (outside the EU / EFTA / Schengen) who have been vaccinated with an EMA vaccine can apply for a Swiss Covid certificate via the following platform: The conversion costs CHF 30.00 and must be paid by the person making the application. It can take up to five days until the Covid certificate is available.

Guests from third countries outside the EU/EFTA/Schengen (vaccinated with other vaccines):
These persons are subject to compulsory testing upon entry and for access to areas that are subject to certification. For first-time vaccinated persons and adolescents up to 16 years of age, these tests are free of charge (provisionally until the end of November 2021).

30-day certificate for those vaccinated with Sinovac and Sinopharm
From the end of November 2021, tourists who have been vaccinated with a vaccine approved only by the WHO will also be able to obtain a Swiss certificate. Currently, this concerns the Sinovac and Sinopharm vaccines. The validity period is limited to 30 days. The certificate is only valid in Switzerland. The conversion of the vaccination certificate costs CHF 30.00, which must be paid by the applicant. How and where exactly the certificate can be obtained is currently still being worked out by the authorities.

Last update on 11-05-2021 by Adrian Pfiffner.

Testing possibilities

In the holiday region of Heidiland, you can get tested at various places, including pharmacies and doctors' surgeries, and in the canton of Graubünden also at cantonal test centres.

In the holiday region of Heidiland, the Tamina Therme in Bad Ragaz now also operates a test centre that is open to the entire public without prior registration. The walk-in test station is located in front of the entrance to the Tamina Therme. The tests can be carried out daily from 11:00 to 22:00 (Sat-Thu) and on Fridays from 11:00 to 23:00. The result or certificate is sent directly to the Covid app after a waiting time of around 15 minutes. Test persons must bring a valid ID (ID, passport) and a health insurance card.

At the indoor swimming pool Flumserberg there is a testing facility (antigen or PCR test) as well and vaccinations with the Moderna vaccine are also offered.
The test centre is open from Monday to Friday between 17.00 - 18.00 hrs. The test centre is closed on weekends.

Last update on 01-04-2022 by Adrian Pfiffner.

What to do in case of cancellation?

In case of cancellations and possible cancellation costs in connection with Covid-19, we ask you to contact the landlord/landlady directly. The insurance benefits and insurance cover must be clarified on an individual basis.

Last update on 09-10-2021 by Johanna Bergthaler.

Are the Heidiland tourist offices open?

The Heidiland tourist offices in Bad Ragaz and Flumserberg are open. The team at the headquarter can also be reached during usual business hours.

Last update on 09-10-2021 by Johanna Bergthaler.