The ruin, which served the Pfäfers monastery
In 1206 the castle Wartenstein was built on the site of the old Porta Romana, to protect the path and the monastery. Here no less than Ragaz's first spa doctor, Theophrastus Parazelsus, wrote his scientific treatise on the nearby healing spring.
After an eventful history, the walls were abandoned to disintegration in the 16th century. In order to obtain stones for the renovation of the Pfäfers monastery buildings, Abbot Bonifaz Tschupp had the castle demolished down to the walls that make up the ruins today. Early engravings and postcards show how it still presents itself today. Remains of the residential tower, the cistern and the lower castle have been preserved.
Energetically the ruin belongs to the places of wonder, which hardly surprises. Castles often stand in strong places. They are not dependent on particularly strong earth forces like a chapel or a church. Visit the upper and lower castles and get an idea of the interesting fortifications. Caution: In damp weather there is a risk of slipping on dirt roads.